You should add food to the program only as a last resort if you are so incredibly hungry that you feel like you are going to break the fast. In such an instance, you may have a slice or two of apple, 1 stalk of celery, or 1 small Persian (“baby”) cucumber of 5-6 inches in length per day.
You can add:
- Up to 1 tablespoon of dried herbs or spices per day to your soups or other foods in the diet to enhance the flavor (preferably unprocessed, g., red pepper flakes)
- Up to 1 teaspoon of sea salt (as long as there are no health contraindications)
- Up to 2 slices of lemon per day (squeezed, not eaten), whether you use it in your soups, herbal teas, or water.
- Up to 2 pieces of sugar-free gum per day while on
- Herbal teas (unsweetened and caffeine free) as much as you
- All types of sparkling water are fine (no sweeteners of any kind)
- Caffeine up to 140mg per day:
- 1 cup (8fl oz) of coffee (no cream or sweetener)
- -or- 2 cups (16fl oz) of black or green tea (traditionally steeped), no matcha
- -or- 6 cups (48fl oz) of decaf coffee (no cream of sweetener)